Re: [ST] HID Lighting - Digest #117

 > > Personally, I DETEST the new lighting systems.  Mind you, I have never
 > > driven a car with HID lighting, but I have been BLINDED numerous times by
 > > them.
 >
 > It sounds like you dislike the antiquated Department of Transportation
 > regulations regarding headlight beam patterns for US vehicles, not HID
 > technology. (Well, HID is bringing to light -- pardon the pun -- the

i suspect he means what he says he means.  i know that _i_ detest those
lights, no matter where they're from.

no amount of beam pattern tweaking will prevent me from being blinded
when an oncoming car approaches over the crest of a hill, or sits at
an upgrade into an intersection with their beams planted firmly in my
face, or has headlights that meet my rearview mirror when following in
close-spaced traffic, because their vehicle is simply much taller than
mine.

a friend pointed out that ever brighter lighting is probably a fine
example of the Prisoner's Dilemma:  "you've spent big bucks to blind
me, so i now am obliged to do the same."

paul