[ST] Re: disc alarms and riding posture

John:

> I've seen some disc locks with alarms built in - are they effective?
(seems to me I read a thread on this, and some people felt >they were on a
hair trigger and subject to false alarms).

I have a Xena disc lock which has a built in alarm.  I bought it, not for
the added benefit of the alarm frightening off a would be thief, but rather
to alert me in the event I forgot to take it off before I started off
riding.  I use it whenever I go on trips and stop at a motel.  I also use a
Kryptonite cable and lock which I pass through the frame and try to tie to
another bike or to something stationary.  I figure between the disc alarm
and the cable lock, it would take a good thief at least an extra two to five
minutes before they rip my bike off.  But that's why I have insurance.  The
two locks would, however,  keep the amateur 15 year old from taking my bike
for a joy ride.  The Xena disc alarm is sensitive enough to go off if a
heavy truck parks next to my bike at a motel but I have not had a problem
with too many false alarms.  I also bring along my "Triumph" cover and cover
the bike.  The Triumph cover looks great and may also provide some slight
benefit to hide exactly what is underneath from potential thieves.

>Also, does anyone have any tips on the best posture for riding? (I've never
had a bike where I've leaned over before).  Do >you keep your back straight?
Slouch over forward?

When I bought a Honda ST1100 several years ago, my other bike was my '97
Triumph Thunderbird.  The Thunderbird has a sitting position that is upright
(I've heard it jokingly called the "sit up and beg" position) which I find
comfortable for most riding.  The ST1100 has a riding position similiar to
the Sprint ST which requires the rider to lean forward.  The first 1000
miles of riding my ST1100 I hated it and did not think I would get use to
it.  I looked at HELI bars and GenMar bars as a fix to bring the handlebars
back and allow me to sit more upright.  Before I had time to purchase an
aftermarket bar fix, I went on a 3200 mile round trip to New Mexico and
back.  I found out on that trip that the forward lean is more comfortable
for long distances and/or high speeds.  My advise is to ride your bike
keeping you back straight and leaning forward for at least a month or so.
You may be using muscles that have not been used in a while and you need to
stengthen them.

John Westcott
San Antonio, TX

P.S.  If you think the Sprint ST takes some getting use to, try a Daytona.
It's like a workout everytime I ride mine.