Re: Aux. Power Socket

On 4 Jan 2001, at 22:39, Ken Mitchell wrote:

> On the RS, that socket gets mounted to the left side, with a bracket
> (included) that is sandwiched beneath the rear-most round head socket cap
> screw of the bodywork. On my RS, it is barely noticeable below my knee. The
> plug for it is part of the factory wiring harness, and I didn't have to
> remove anything to fish it out and push it onto the accessory socket. Total
> installation time was under 3 minutes with just a 5mm hex key (a.k.a. Allen
> wrench).

OK, it sounds like the factory placement is of no use to me for
GPS power.  Is the wiring provided with the socket long enough
to reach to the instrument area?

> It's one of the cheapest Triumph accessories to add, and well worth it if
> you use any heated clothing. For the GPS, I'd have to agree that your best
> bet would be to run a power lead directly from the battery, or better yet,
> from a switched circuit off the fuse box. That way, it wouldn't drain your
> battery if left on.

Perhaps hooking to the battery would be a good idea, but how
would one route the power leads cleanly to the cockpit area?  Is
the harness for the socket fused?  I'd hesitate to hook it directly
to the battery without a fuse...

A question: is the hole diameter of the socket a standard
cigarette lighter size?  A friend with a BMW says the BMW unit
is much smaller than standard.

Thanks.