Re: Routing GPS Power leads

>Just an FYI: I've been discussing a power plug for my RS, which
does not come with a factory plug.  Since I'm planning to use it
only for my GPS, I see no reason to mount it down on the side of
the bike, but rather in the cockpit area close to where I currently
mount my GPS receiver.  Therefore, I'm looking at various options
for routing wiring from either the battery or somewhere else to the
area I intend to mount the plug.<

That sounds like a pretty good idea. If I was doing that, I'd put it on the
left hand side of the fairing, right below and in line with the heated grip
switch on my bike. What the heck, I've already cut a nice clean rectangular
hole there, a round one should be easy too. The socket assembly has a simple
threaded nut on the back, so secure mounting is there.

Furthermore, I would tap into the power lead for those grips, because it's
switched on & off with the key. One might have to up the fuse ampere rating
if you were to plug in heated gear, but for a GPS, there should be no
problem as is. Or, skip that and just run a couple of 18 or 16 gage leads
with soldered-on spade connectors down to the connector on the wiring
harness where that socket would normally be plugged into. Wrap the two leads
with a spiral of black electrical tape, use a few tie-wraps to tuck it up
neat, and it'll look like a real professional job.

You know, I just might do that myself! That way, plugging the heated vest
(that I don't yet own) would be *so* easy to access. Much better than
reaching down next to my leg where I can't see anything (because of the
helmet) anyway. Thanks for the good idea!

Ken M.
2000 RS