Wacky Fuel gauges

I find this discussion about leaky and otherwise inaccurate
fuel level senders interesting.

In the automotive side of things, the Audi A6 Quattro has had a similar
problem, where the gauge would read high and then drop like a rock.
This 'feature' has stranded quite a few motorists in the U.S. with no
gas and a $40,000 boat anchor.  Probably with a long walk to get some
fuel.

Last I heard, there were threats of a lawsuit to Audi about this
situation, who are supposed to be working on a solution; in the meantime
owners were being advised to use their tripmeter to anticipate fuel
stops.  Funny, motorcyclists have done that for quite awhile.  Of course
when told this, a few of the owners weren't very happy.  My A4 has a
similar problem (but not as bad); it will read accurately when the tank
is very close to empty, which is more important.  I guess I haven't
tried to get it fixed because I've heard of others who have the same
problem, so what would be the point.

I guess the bottom line is I really like my car and like it despite the
funky little qwirks.  Just like we like our Sprints and can live with
the sender problem (I'm talking about the accuracy, the leaking is
another matter).

However, it is an interesting contrast.  When people complain to Audi
about it's best selling model which costs 4x as much as our Sprint, they
apparently get somewhere.  Is Triumph listening about our problems?  I
agree, if a manufacturer adds a feature to a motorcycle, it ought to
work.  Otherwise get rid of it.  At LEAST give me a low fuel light so I
know when I have to get gas soon.  Which leads to a question - does the
Sprint low fuel light work off of the sender, meaning both would be
inaccurate?  I think I know the answer to that one...

Mark Collett
- --

Mark Collett
Michelin Engineer