Re: Wacky Fuel gauges

In your message regarding Wacky Fuel gauges dated Sun, 07 Jan 2001
12:07:35 -0500, Mark Collett said that ...

>MC-  I find this discussion about leaky and otherwise inaccurate
>MC-  fuel level senders interesting.
>MC-
<snipped>
>MC-  work.  Otherwise get rid of it.  At LEAST give me a low fuel light so I
>MC-  know when I have to get gas soon.  Which leads to a question - does the
>MC-  Sprint low fuel light work off of the sender, meaning both would be
>MC-  inaccurate?  I think I know the answer to that one...

I have, I believe, an original fuel sender (since my VIN number does not
fall into the recall zone).  I have only recently acquired my 2nd hand ST
so am no expert on the matter.  Except that - the sun shone in Devon, UK
today so I was out. And as luck would have it whilst riding the low fuel
warning light came on - 6 miles later I pulled up at a service station
and, on the centre stand, filled it back up to the brim - exactly 17.64
litres (no idea what that equates to in US gallons) but that would mean
that there were 3.36 litres left in the tank (enough for 30 miles).  So it
seems to me that I got a fair warning within quite acceptable parameters.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/

'99 Red ST