Re: RS Lights & side panels

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bostock" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I accordance with EU legislation which says that a motorcycle should only
> have one light* all new bikes (for the UK market at least) now have a
> relay fitted which selects one light for dip and one for full beam.  I
> suspect that if the filament blows on a lamp then it switches over to the
> other (at least this would be logical).

I don't think these relays will cause any switchover when a filament blows

>  It has been discussed on this
> list that a relay is easily available which will allow both lights to be
> on simultaneously, but due to EU legislation that the dealer cannot fit
> it.  However, if you ask nicely they will show you exactly how to do the
> job.

I believe there is one more important issue which one would need to pursue
before going ahead with this change.  I think that the part numbers for the
headlight lenses differ for siutuations where they were intended to be on
just one at a time.  When both headlights are set up to be on all the time
(as is the case on my '99 ST), then the lenses are such that they disperse
the light correctly for both low and high beam positions.  I think you'll
find that for bikes set up for countries where they should be on only one at
a time, each lense is dedicated to one purpose (namely high or low beam
only). and the focussing of each lense reflects that dedicated purpose.

The Triumph part numbers for the lenses are right on the glass lense so it
should be easy to check this (no disassembly required).  I used to have the
part numbers for mine written down as I brought the issue up once before,
but I never had anyone else vlounteer the part numbers for the lenses on
their one-eyed bikes.  There wasn't much incentive for me to follow up since
my headlights work just the way I want -- both on for low and both on for
high, but I can get those numbers if anyone is interested.