Re: Wacky Fuel gauges

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bostock" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have, I believe, an original fuel sender (since my VIN number does not
> fall into the recall zone).  I have only recently acquired my 2nd hand ST
> so am no expert on the matter.

If your bike is second hand, how can you be sure that it wasn't already
replaced once?  And if it was replaced, you can almost be certain that it
was replaced with one that has the potential to leak, even if it hasn't done
so yet.  The bad ones have a green cap, and the good (latest) ones have a
grey cap, so you might want to check that the next time the tank is off.

  Except that - the sun shone in Devon, UK
> today so I was out. And as luck would have it whilst riding the low fuel
> warning light came on - 6 miles later I pulled up at a service station
> and, on the centre stand, filled it back up to the brim - exactly 17.64
> litres (no idea what that equates to in US gallons) but that would mean
> that there were 3.36 litres left in the tank (enough for 30 miles).

sounds like your fuel gauge is working perfectly - the ST manual even states
that there should be about 4 litres left when the low-fuel warning light
illuminates.  But I hope you don't assume that this has anything to do with
the potential for leakage.