Re: Posting formats (OT)

- ----- Original Message -----

> In your message regarding Re: Posting formats (OT) dated Mon, 8 Jan 2001
> 07:27:01 -0800, Neil Lindsey said that ...
>
> >NL-  As far as viruses are concerned I think you have it bass ackwards.
Ooutlook
> >NL-  Express is a primary target for virus attack precisley because so
many
> >NL-  people use it, not because it is a big problem.
>
> Not quite true - there were/are a number of vulnerabilities in Outlook and
> Outlook Express which have been addressed (sometimes after the horse had
> bolted) which are limited to these products and, more recently, on some
> other email clients which use M$ Internet Explorer to view HTML messages.
> Most of the recent ones concerned the fact that viewing an HTML message
> with an Active X script embedded in the message allowed the script to be
> executed (eg KAK Worm).

I'm not defending Microsoft from releasing products that have security
vulnerabilities, but I'm also not criticizing them for including progressive
functionality (especially those features that the vendors of other e-mail
client software have chosen to take advantage of as well).  There is no
bug-free software on the face of this planet.