New Tune and Service manual

Hi all

     I have been reading many lists about having the most recent "tune"
downloaded with a scheduled service and I was hoping someone could
explain this for me.  Are these upgrades that are better than the
available options when the bike was built or do they change the tune as
the bike is broken in?  I am sure I can't be the only one confused about
this so please go into detail.

     I have never owned a bike with FI before and have always done all of
my own work on my bikes so I am very nervous about putting it into
anyones hands!  From what I understand the CO level can only be set with
the scan tool and I know that my local dealer doesn't have a CO meter!
Wonder if I could borrow the scan tool and go to the nearest auto
emissions inspection station? Not likely !

     I had also asked them about a manual and they said that it was
listed on their computer but they had no price.  They said it may be
because they aren't available to the public?  I know I have heard people
on the list refer to the manual so I'm sure they must be for sale?

     As always all help is welcome and appreciated!

     Ken Walter
     00 ST blue with suspect fuel sender
     ( wish I could put it in my warm game room without fear of blowing
the house up)
     I can put my HD inside, it only leaks oil