Re: New Tune and Service manual

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Connie M Walter" <labkelly@xxxxxxxx>

>      I have been reading many lists about having the most recent "tune"
> downloaded with a scheduled service and I was hoping someone could
> explain this for me.  Are these upgrades that are better than the
> available options when the bike was built or do they change the tune as
> the bike is broken in?  I am sure I can't be the only one confused about
> this so please go into detail.

not much need for detail -- the tunes are released as enhancements (fixes
and improvments) from Triumph and have nothing to do with break-in -- they
are often done when the bike is in for scheduled service (or any other
service for that matter) only to avoid the potential extra labour charges
from your dealer (most would charge for this time, especially if no other
work has been scheduled) -- the tunes themselves are free from Triumph.
Other than older versions that are generally made obsolete when a new set of
tunes are released, but those that install aftermarket products will
probably disagree

>      I have never owned a bike with FI before and have always done all of
> my own work on my bikes so I am very nervous about putting it into
> anyones hands!  From what I understand the CO level can only be set with
> the scan tool and I know that my local dealer doesn't have a CO meter!

ask him to get one or find another dealer -- the CO meter is crucial to
getting it right, and it must be recently-calibrated too

> Wonder if I could borrow the scan tool and go to the nearest auto
> emissions inspection station? Not likely !

there is a PC-based emulator program (called the tuneboy) for the Triumph
gameboy (which is a nickname I think) -- you need a special cable to connect
between serial port on PC and bike -- does everything except download new
tunes -- no you couldn't buy a gameboy even if you could affor the
exorbidant price -- you have to be a Triumph dealer -- see
http://www.hutch.com.au/~wmcdonal/ for more details

>      I had also asked them about a manual and they said that it was
> listed on their computer but they had no price.  They said it may be
> because they aren't available to the public?  I know I have heard people
> on the list refer to the manual so I'm sure they must be for sale?

the manual is indeed available to the public, and the part number is
T3850760 -- mine is issue 3 and was published 10/99 -- I don't think there
have been any more revisions and the part number does not change anyway --
cost seems to vary quite a bit, but I think it's safe to say you can look
forward to spending in the vicinity of $100 USD (a bit pricey) -- I'm sure
others will chime in with their 'deals'