Oil leak

When I took my '99 ST in to Rocket Motorcycles of San Diego for its 6,000
mile service recently, I mentioned the slight oil leak coming from somewhere
inboard of the left footpeg, and, based on list-gained information, suggested
the countershaft seal as the likely culprit. The new technician there said he
cleaned off the countershaft seal area and ran it a bit, and found it was
quite oil tight. He suggested I turn off my Scott oiler for a while. I did
so, and after running through about 2 tankfuls of gas, made two observations:
a very dry chain, and no more oil drip! I thought I had it regulated at 1
drop/minute, as recommended.
I might say that my rear brake pad had also suffered from overlubrication,
which I attributed to the feeder tube from the Scottoiler having been
improperly installed, when transferred from my previous Trophy 1200 to the
Sprint: it was dripping on the middle of the chain just before it engaged the
rear sprocket, which might allow splashing on to the wheel and brake disc,
rather than feeding on to the outside of the chain, after it is on the
sprocket, where the sprocket would prevent medial-directed splashing. I
corrected this, and installed a pair of Ferrodo pads, (recommended on the
list) and thoroughly cleaned the oil out of the caliper and disc-even
cleaning each hole in the disc with a brush wet with brake cleaner. The
result?-marginal improvement in rear braking-still not nearly as good as my
'79 Bonneville.
The moral(s) of all this? 1. The Scottoiler can be a 2-edged sword unless
meticulously installed and adjusted, and  2. the rear brake on the ST, at
best, is not very good. Dave Collins, San Diego PS the front brake is great!