From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Robert Smith
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 11:02 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Comfort; BC Roads

Paul Hoeffer wrote:

>If I use my legs to take some weight off my arms and
>adjust the way I arch my back, I can alleviate most of it.  It's almost
like
>my back has a "memory" of what it's supposed to do on a bike, and I have to
>re-train it and myself how to sit properly on the Sprint. Has anyone else
>experienced anything like this?

Hi Paul,

Sitting properly is exactly the answer. I'm 5'10", 180# with long arms and
legs. I've experienced some of the problems you described, mostly numb
hands from too much weight on the wrists.

For me, the secret to riding the ST in town (and good riding practice too,
FWIW) is to arch my back, bend my arms and lean forward. The problems arise
when I slouch and lock out my elbows--it's a lazy riding style anyway and
not conducive to safety. On the highway, or BC's fast sweeping interior
roads, the problem is a non-starter. Wind balances my body perfectly over
100kph/60mph.

I've put a lot of miles on a number of STs, and for comfortable
long-distance riding they can't be beat (except maybe by a Norton Commando.
Yes, really!). Don't even ask me about the Y*m*h* R**d St*r I rode from LA
to Phoenix. I needed serious physio and chiropractic work after that...

The answer to comfort on the ST-- ride faster!

Kathy Kost wrote:

>Have you ever headed north into B.C.?  It's kind of a long hike for you,
>but definitely worth it.  The roads up there and scenary are incredible.

Shhh! They're our best kept secret  ;-)

Robert Smith--Freelance Writer
Vancouver, BC, Canada (another country)
'00 ST Sapphire