Re: Pannier System

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:01:40 -0800 , you wrote:

>If you don't mind spending the $$, a new color matched lid is around
>$200 per side.  Have you checked your brackets to see if they have worn
>down?  Mine have slightly, but Richard's have not.  The wear on the
>brackets can be so extreme as to cause you bags not to latch properly to
>the bike. Examine the brackets on the bike and the rail on the bag.
>
>You can also put one on you bike and lock it.  Then push the pannier as
>far down/forward as you can.  Obviously don't force it, but be firm.
>Then play with the locked latch.

Mine have worn considerably. What I did to take up some of the slack
is use rubber cement to attach a small piece of rubber into the notch
in the rail. That takes up the excess movement and provides a cushion
to minimize further wear. The glass-filled nylon rail really does a
number on the plastic lip on the bags.