Re: liability question, was: Health Insurance C ...

Previously, you (Thomas Emberson) wrote:
> Should the apartment complex be liable for someone entering the
> property, more or less broad daylight (between 6 and 8am) with a
> truck and trailer and stealing his bike, '97 cbr600 BTW?

No, the complex shouldn't be liable.  And there is probably a clause in
the lease that says that tenants are required to obtain adequate
insurance.  I've seen that before in all leases I've ever signed.

Just because he moved isn't any excuse.  How long had he been in TX?
Insurance continues for a short while after a move to cover these
contingencies (possibly requiring a rider to the insurance coverage).

When we moved to FL -- not just a cross-state move but from Canada to US
- -- we made sure the insurance would cover for a short period until we
could obtain insurance here.  We had FL insurance within days of
arriving.

Either he didn't make sure the coverage would continue for a week or
two, or he decided to get cheap (or was careless) and didn't hustle to
find insurance in time.  My guess is he was cheap and lazy, has been in
TX for a while and figured that the averages were on his side.
Unfortunately for him the odds caught up with him.

I'd love to know how long he's been there.  My cynical nature says it is
over 30 days, and probably more than 60 days.

> For his part he had a disk lock on the front.

Doesn't matter.  I think the guy is hosed, and he did it to himself.  He
has been given an expensive lesson.  Hopefully he'll learn from it.  But
fools like that have impaired learning ability.

I have no sympathy.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL