Re: Back Protectors

Steven Kohlscheen wrote:

 > For better background and a worthwhile opinion on Knox, Bohn and Dianese
 > back protectors from John Ulrich of Motorcycle Roadracing World, check out
 > the following link:
 > http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issues/jan01/back.htm
 > I read it in hardcopy and found it enlightening.

I have some first hand info on the bohn proracer.

I race at the club level.  I recently got to "test" the back protector,
in a highside up at Thunderhill racetrack in Northern California.   The
crash was a classic high side (rider error, but I don't need to publish
all the details here) at about 60+/- mph.  I hit the tarmac fairly hard,
shoulder first, breaking the clavical in 3 places at the far (distal)
end.  Not a snap in the middle of the collarbone from the chin of the
helmet - which is the most common break.  During the violent tumbling I
got tangled up in the bike, then went over the candystripe (on my back
- -- I had red and white scarring on my leathers) onto the dirt, and
tumbled a few more times.

The only other injury was a mild cracked one rib and bruised one, on my
left side (where the back protector isn't.)

The turn worker called for the ambulance to be warmed up immediately.

Once the cobwebs cleared ~30 seconds, I stood up and waved, he
cancelled.  To his surprise, I might add.  I walked away, the bike got a
ride in the crash truck -- though with surprisingly little damage.
broken clipon, broken rearset, and some tlc need on the plastic.

EVERY piece of safety gear was in need of repair (except the gloves),
and the helmet is a writeoff.

What did I take away from my first real crash?

1. I was lucky, it could have been much worse.
2. I don't skimp on safety gear ever.  Helimot leathers, Held gloves,
Bohn back protector, Arai RR4 and Sidi vertebrae boots.
3. The amount of damage / energy absorbtion evidenced by the gear could
have been absorbed by me.  I am glad I paid $ for the gear to take it,
and not hours of pain for me to take it.

guess what?  These same models have made their way into my street gear,
and my SO now understands, why I have 2 helmets and 2 sets of
(expensive) gloves - one for race, one for street.  the leathers, bohn
and boots are shared.

Also, I wear the back protector on all my riding now.

I am now healed, with no permanent damage, and am back at the gym, and
... prepping my bike for this seasons fun in the back of the pack.

- -chuck

who has been lurking on this list since close to the beginning, but
spent too much money racing last season, and only now has the money for
a triumph...  Which leads me to the last question.  I am planning on
buying mine from concord motor sport in concord NH (close to where I
grew up), then riding it west.  Has anybody got anything good or bad to
say about these guys?

caveat -- I don't work for any of the companies mentioned, nor am I
promoted/sponsored by them.  I am just saying, "this is what I bought,
because they fit the best (very important) and provided what I thought
was the best protection. YMMV"