Re: Update on Sprint RS not starting

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan and Don Draper"

> When the fuse was
> replaced, it started right up.

> I'm not 100% comfortable with this resolution since I've
> found that blown fuses are usually indicative of some other
> problem which replacing the fuse doesn't fix.  So I'll be carrying
> extra fuses and waiting to see what happens next.

I wouldn't be comfortable either
There's something going on that is bound to repeat itself and I wouldn't
wait till your warranty expires before doing something
You might have a problem convincing your dealer however if the problem
doesn't recur soon

> I think that the last time the bike wouldn't start was also due to
> the fuel pump not running.   That time, the bike started after it
> was warmed by the sun.

I'd suggest that either there is a short in the fuel pump motor that occurs
only when it is damp, or there is extra mechanical resistance somewhere when
it is extra cold. When power is applied to a motor and it is somehow
restricted from turning, the motor will draw more current than it normally
would (due to reduced back EMF in the windings).  This could pop the fuse.

just my .02
Neil