Cryogenic Treatment

Has anyone had any cycle or auto part cryogenically treated?  I saw it one a
few years ago on Discovery channel, and today after a small Nitrogen leak at
work, I remembered the show.  I found a few sites on the Internet, including
the company that Discovery Channel did the special about.

http://www.cryogenicsolutions.com  (The one I saw on Discovery)

http://www.pinnaclecryo.com  (Site has prices for vehicle parts)

For those that have never heard of this, they use deep freezing systems to
take metals, plastics, and ceramics down to -300 or lower degrees F for
several days.  The intense cold restructures the metal, making it more
uniform, and making smoother surfaces.  The end result is said to produce a
motor that has less internal friction between the cylinder and piston,
resulting in better performance.  Additionally, the metal wears
significantly better, like in the case of brake rotors and pads or pistons
and rings.  Since I have to replace my rear rotor and pads, I was
considering sending the new parts to one of the above companies.  Also, it
is supposed to increase the chain and sprocket life.  The process is
permanent, meaning is doesn't eventually wear off over time, or with
excessive heat (at least while still survives; you know what I mean).

It costs $375 to do a 2-3 cylinder motor (whole), plus shipping.  Chain and
sprockets, and rotors and pads are cheap.  On the show, a Harley racer had
his engine done, and currently road the fastest stock class Harley, in Drag
racing I think (not saying much with Harley, I know)

They'll even do gun barrels and music instruments.  A gun's accuracy is
improved by the smoother bore of the barrel, and the now uniform harmonic
vibrations in the barrel when the round is set off.  Music instruments,
mainly Brass, have better sounds, brighter tones, and better pitch.

I'm still a little skeptical, but am willing to throw $60 to have my chain
and sprockets, and all my rotors and pads 'dipped.'  Supposedly there are
some NASCAR and other racers using this on engines and brakes.

The one place is in Michigan, and I believe one Triumph dealer on MI is
within reaonable driving distance.  It might be worth it to ride to the
dealer, Dyno test the bike, have them remove your engine, stick it in a
rental car, drive it to the cryo place and have it dipped, then return back
to the dealer for reinstallation and dyno testing.  Maybe we could get a
group rate <grin>

- --Joel