which Oil is best

I had much the same questions when I bought my '99 Sprint, especially since
I was not able to get the recommended Mobil 1 locally.

I believe the SJ designation is not one you want by itself since this oil
does not have the shear properties for use in your transmission and is
designated for energy conservation.

I ended up emailing a couple of the motorcycle oil manufacturers and pretty
much got the same story from both.  Of the two numbers in the oil rating,
the first number appears to be the most critical.

The thing to look for is oils with additives for transmission and wet clutch
use.  Car oils found at local stores don't have these additives.

I'm currently using MOTUL 15w/50 300V Competition 4T Ester (Maxima 15w/50
was my other choice)which is a full synthetic oil, with no problems at all,
if anything helped smooth things out a bit (I think the dealer installed a
semi synthetic at my 600 mile service).  Triumph recommends 15w/40 for the
'99 Sprint.

Unfortunately, I don't ride as much as I'd like so mileage between change
intervals is not an issue for me.  I change my oil once a year, as
recommended as a maximum time frame.  At anywhere from $10 to $14 a quart
for synthetic motorcycle oil, not sure I'd want to do it more than that.
The '99 Sprint manual recommends 6000 mile intervals or once a year.

JPage
'99 Red Sprint