Re: which Oil is best?

"Gerrit Herbst" <Gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know if this is the right time to ask this question, but I would
> really like to get your valued opinions regarding which oil is best for my
> '01 RS. Currently Triumph recommends 10W-40 synthetic or semi synthetic
oil
> and specifically mention Mobil 1. Mobil 1 carries an API SH rating
suitable
> for vehicles made up to 1996.

Don't have my owner's manual in front of me, but I'm quite sure Triumph
recommend "Mobil 1 4T" -- a specially formulated motorcycle racing oil.
This is not the same as "Mobil 1" (automotive oil).

Don't confuse the two.  You could mess up your clutch, among other things.

> What are the Dawgs using in their bikes and how often do you change your
> oil?

I know some Dawgs do their own changes, and at schedules much more frequent
than Triumph recommends.  Me, I get the dealer to do the work using the
recommended Mobil 1 4T -- expensive but worth it IMO.  Schedule is based on
how I ride.

> PS. It really gets hot where i'm staying and even in the worst winter
> weather it never gets below freezing.

I don't know about "really hot", but here it gets really humid in the summer
which makes it feel really hot.  We actually had some sub-freezing
temperatures recently!  This was not normal.
- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"