Re: superbikeschool question

>Of the people who have gone to this school, how many have ridden
>their own bike, and who rode the school's bike?

I went to CSS back in '85 to see if I was interested in racing (I was!). At
that time the only choice was the school's bike and that was a GPZ550. That
was the first time I had ridden a four cylinder bike after owning 3 twins
and 1 triple. I spent the whole class trying to get used to the bike
because the powerband and handling were so different. Using their bikes
you're going to have to get used to doing without torque, and in my mind
torque is your friend for having a good time. Forget about horsepower.

If I would do it again, I would use my own bike. I've had my Sprint out for
a trackday and I felt a lot more comfortable going at racing speeds on a
bike I was used to. I think riding your own bike you will be safer for two
reasons:

1. You're used to it. The less time you spend concentrating on new
ergonomics, controls, handling, braking, etc. the more time you have to
concentrate on learning how to go faster. One of Keith Code's main mantras
is that you only have a certain amount of concentration (like traction)
available. Where do you want to spend it?

2. It's your bike, and you will feel even worse dropping it so you're more
likely to stay within your limits.

Matt Knowles - matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (707) 786-4643
http://www.aestheticdesign.com