Re: Service Intervals

>>My dealer said when I bought my ST that the service intervals
>>would be every 5000km or 3000 miles with a major at 20000km
>> 12000 miles. To the best of My knowledge the recommended
>> interval is 10000k (6000 miles) or 12 months.

Josh,

The workshop manual, service book & service sheets all have service
intervals of 10,000km. It doesnt even say to use shorter intervals for
certain  conditions (eg: lots of stop/start riding).

Therefore I can only conclude 1 of 3 things :
1: Triumph specifies long service intervals to attempt to make service
costs look lower to potential purchasers.
2: The dealer knows better than Triumph & only servicing the bike every
10,000km will be detrimental to service life.
3: It's a nice little earner for the dealer to make twice as much money out
of each customer.

Providing you use an oil of the recommended quality ( & depending on where
you look it will specify use of synthetic only or semi-synthetic as a
minumim  ), Triumph are saying 10,000km is ok. Personally I think this is a
little too long considering the shearing action on the oil of a motorcycle
gearbox.

>> What interval does everyone else get their bike serviced at?

I will be doing an intermediate service myself every 5000km, replacing the
oil & filter,  as well as the rest of the checks from a 10,000km service.
This way it only costs $70 plus a little of my time, instead of $200 at the
dealer. If I had 2 left hands & couldnt even change my own oil I would only
get it done every 10,000km as recommended by Triumph.

Darren Mason.
2000 ST.
Melbourne, AuSTralia.