Lex - UK Insurance

Lex at 06:15 18/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Just a side note on a different topic, I was looking through Bike magazine
>and was noticing insurance costs in Britian.  JeeeZ!!! The yearly
>insurance for british motorcyclists seems to cost almost what the bike
>does.  What's up?  Are the british cage drivers that bad over there? Or
>are there that many more 'hooligans' than there are here in the states.  I
>saw quotes of 5500 British pounds for a 21 yr old on a new CBR600.  That's
>practically what the bike costs to buy!  In the States here I have a
>friend who is 24 unmarried with a ticket or two on a CBR600 and he pays
>2000 US dollars a year.  And considering the fact that the UK has
>socialized medicine, it's not like the UK insurance companies are having
>to dole out for medical bills like they do here in the US.  I just don't
>see how the UK citizens can afford to ride a motorcycle.

Reasons given included:

1. Theft is on the increase.
2. Hospitals are now trying to claim medical costs off insurance companies
in relation to traffic accidents.
3. Personal claim injuries are on the increase.
4. Insurance companies running bike insurance at a loss (overall profits
continue to rise of course)

After the UK bike show in 1999 one magazine picked up on the fact that a 21
year old lad with two no fault accidents riding a Aprillia RS125 or
250  was quoted £21,000 (yes this is correct) to insure his bike (fully
comp if it makes a difference). The company in question issued a statement
along the lines of 'a computer fault, he should have been told we are
unable to quote for his particular circumstances'.

Keith W Peters
Wrexham. UK

"Cymraeg Dawg & Long Tail (00 Blue ST)"