Re: Synchrotech Helmets

 > Wearing a helmet with pivot points at the most likely impact areas is
 > a bad idea. The extra weight and noise offset whatever convenience
 > these helmets offer. The reduced strength in the most critical area
 > is reason enough to stay away from these helmets. They're better than
 > 3/4 helmets, but I don't wear those either.

i see these claims all the time, but a) user reviews indicate that the
schuberth concept helmets are extremely quiet, even compared to helmets
like the arai quantum, and b) it's not completely clear to me that
a flip up helmet can't be made strong enough to protect one's chin/face
in a crash.  i'm not saying they all _are_ that strong, but that it
might well be possible that one _could_ be that strong.

i think there's a lot of FUD surrounding this issue, and i hope that
someone (a major magazine?) will help clear it up.  it would also help
if one of the makers (hopefully schuberth) would apply for snell
certification, (as a full-face).  snell has said in the past that they
have no reason to believe that a flip up design couldn't pass their
tests.

paul