RE: Pick'm up trucks (Dawgs love trucks!) & SNELL

G'afternoon Jim,

The Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra are the class of the full size pickups,
followed closely by the F150.  A bit smaller is the Toyota.  Draggin up the
rear is the Dodge Ram, which has the worst reliability record of the crew.
Dakota is an interesting alternative, smaller, more fuel efficient, but it
may be plagued by the same quality problems as the Ram.

The Silverado is the only one that has a truly adult usable back seat on the
extended cab.  The F150's is kid usable, or small adult.  The Ram's is fine
for the dog or "stuff" but pretty much insufferable for more than about 15
minutes by a regular human.  I've test driven all three, with my kids in the
backs, and the preceding is essentially their assessments.

As for the tailgate, I don't know the answer to that one, I suspect it
depends on the gate.  One possibility that renders it moot would be to put a
steel channel, similiar to those used for dedicated motorcycle trailering,
into the bed.  This will spread the rear wheel weight over the entire length
of the channel, rather than concentrating it on the gate.

On the issue of SNELL certification, my understanding is that SNELL's specs
require a contiguous helmet shell, which automatically fails any flip-face
lid...  Of course, I could be wrong...

BikerDawg out...