Synchrotech Helmets

Hi,
     I have been using a NOLAN N100 flip-front helmet for the last couple
years. I checked out the Shoei Synchrotech, but they were hard to find and
considerably more expensive than the Nolan (I got a super deal "on sale"). I
thought they were discontinued by Shoei until I saw them again recently. I
liked the idea of a single release latch, but that may also make them easier
to open up in a crash. The Nolan release buttons operate seperately on
either side of the chinbar. I think the Shoei release is a single button in
the front of the chinbar.
     Obviously a single unit full-face helmet will be stronger. The
flip-fronts provide considerably more protection than an open-face, and
somewhat less than a unitized full-face. You are being provided with choices
here. There are advantages and disadvantages to using any style of helmet. I
like my flip-front and it works great for commuting and touring. The people
at the drive through (McDonald's, bank, etc...) can understand you and you
can drink and eat with your helmet on. If you are into peg scratching, I
suggest something with as much protection as you can afford. When I raced
dirtbikes in the woods, I dressed like Darth Vader (sans cape). I still
broke both legs and crushed my left thumb. In short, there is no perfect
protection. However, your head makes everything else work, so protect it
accordingly.
Ciao,
Bob