Re: Motorcycle Ambulance

Daphne <lowedaph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In what capacity do these vehicles serve (ie. they can't carry patients,
so under what circumstances are they dispatched, what services do they
perform)?

First Response.  That is, the immediate treatment required to keep a person
alive until an ambulance can get there for transport.  Sometimes that can
make the difference.

Let me give you an example from my personal experience.

In the small town I used to live in in Canada I was in the First Response
team.  I recall one time I responded to an infant choking call.  The child
had been given a piece of raw carrot and then choked.  When I and my partner
arrived (we responded in pairs) the child was unconcious and not breathing.
Luckily we were fast enough that its heart was still beating ... just.

We saved its life.

Most calls were positive such as this.  A few weren't as good.  :-(

As I understand it, with the traffic in London the response time of a
vehicle such as an ambulance could be severely delayed.  So motorcycles have
been fitted up with all sorts of first response gear, such as compact O2
cylinders, intubation kits, defibrulators and complete first aid kits.  I
can guess that there is also a selection of cervical collars for responding
to MVA's.  They may even carry some drugs.  I don't know.  Depends on what
level of training they have.

Imagine someone having an MI where a few minutes can make a big difference.
It doesn't matter that they can't carry passengers; it does matter that they
get there fast.

I've also heard that many of the motorcycle first responders get injured in
accidents.  Physican heal thyself?
- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"