Torque Wrench & Adaptors

>Does a socket adapter throw off the calibration of a torque wrench?

Yes it does because of the torsion effect, but IMHO unless you're using
an 18" adaptor on a 36mm socket to torque the lug nuts on the wheel of a
747 that your wife and family are about to fly in to 500 lbs/sq in, I
wouldn't worry about it.
Seriously, I believe the only life or death trorque values on our bikes
are the wheel nuts and the triple clamps, neither of which should
require an extension. Unless you have a perfectly calibrated Snap-On
torque wrench, the tolerance of your wrench is probably greater than the
effect of a extension or adaptor. Somewhere I have seen a chart that had
values for the differences but for the life of me I can't remember where
it was. Some possiblilties:
Front of a Haynes manual
Owners manual for my Sears Torque Wrench (which I recomend for DIY'ers
like myself)
Internet BMW Riders website
The Machinist's Handbook (Avail. at Barnes and Noble I believe)
Davie Dawg
'99 Sprint ST