Re: Painting a Helmet

From: 2000 Triumph <2000triumph@xxxxxxxx>

>I have exhausted my attempts at finding out how I can paint my Shoei
>Full-face helmet so I'll ask you all. My helmet is currently pink and blue
>(from the early 90's) and I want to paint it to better match by bike and
>leathers.  I'm too cheap/broke to spend $500 on a new helmet when this one
>fits me just fine.<snip>

I'm cheap too, but helmets is one area where I wouldn't scrimp on quality.
That doesn't mean price. There are a fair number of quality helmets at well
under $500. A helmet over five years old should be replaced, period. The
energy-absorbing materials will degrade over time, with heat/cool/moisture
cycles causing the foam to dry out, harden, and lose it's compression
abilities. Plus, a new helmet *smells* better than an old one.  :-)

If you paint it, do so only to make it an attractive bookend. Otherwise,
look closely at offerings from HJC, Bieffe, and AGV for value in good
helmets. You can even find a top-notch Shoei or Arai last-years' model at
substantial closeout discounts. This will be my third year in a Arai Quantum
E, then it will be retired for another.

My 2 cents worth.

Ken M.