Re: Painting a Helmet

on 1/21/01 12:13 PM, 2000 Triumph at 2000triumph@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have exhausted my attempts at finding out how I can paint my Shoei
> Full-face helmet so I'll ask you all. My helmet is currently pink and blue
> (from the early 90's) and I want to paint it to better match by bike and
> leathers.  I'm too cheap/broke to spend $500 on a new helmet when this one
> fits me just fine.

Here's another message telling you to get rid of the helmet.  Helmets are
definitely meant to be replaced after a couple years, the materials used to
make them deteriorate to the point where though they look and feel fine they
won't do much to protect you in a getoff.   The Shoei RF series of helmets
are comfortable and quiet, and won't break your bank.

To answer your question though, I'd not consider painting it anyway as the
shells on most helmets (especially one as old as yours) can't take the
petroleum and other nasty chemicals in normal paints, it will make them
break down even faster than age.  If you must paint a helmet I'd contact the
manufacturer and see what their recommendations are as to the type of paint.
A can of krylon isn't your best bet.