Re: *Painting Helmet: THANKS!

Dear H ( how about a name, I'm sure we all like to know who we're
talking too :-)

The fin is totally just a style thing. The fin just sticks on with
double sided tape you could put it on any helmet, waste of $$ IMHO
since it does absolutely nothing.

As for what helmet.. whoa.. if you're willing to go $400.00 there are
a LOT of choices. But first and foremost before brand or model is
FIT. This is without a doubt the single MOST important aspect of
which helmet to purchase. Regarding fit there are those that say that
a person has either a Shoei head or an Arai head (Arai and Shoei
being arguably the 2 best brands) but this is wrong! What there are
is two major differences in head shapes. Arai calls these the "Round
Oval" and the "Long Oval". Take a look at your head in the mirror
from the top or have a friend do it. Is you head more round or more
of an oval?? Pretty easy to tell if you have a pumpkin head or a
shark head :-)

Shoei helmets tend to fit people with Long Oval heads better than
more Round Oval heads. Arai on the other hand recognizes that the
world is made up of different head shapes and makes two distinctly
different shell/helmet shapes. The Arai "Signet" series of helmets is
designed for the person with a Long Oval head shape. So if you have
the "Shoei Head" as some call it the Arai Signet will be the better
fit in an Arai Helmet. The other Arai shell/helmet shape is the
"Quantum" series. These helmets are designed to fit those that have a
more Round Oval head shape. Without a doubt one of these will fit
better than the other. Remember again FIT is the key you want a
helmet that is as tight as possible without causing discomfort. A new
helmet should be SNUG.  My suggestion is to find a BIG dealer who
stocks both Shoei and Arai ( Both the Signet and Quantum) and TRY
them. Once you've determined which brand and model you like you can
look for price. The newest Shoei helmets are the RF-900 and TZ-1. The
Arai helmets would be the Signet/GT  and the Quantum/F ( the Arai
RX-7RR and Shoei XSP and Z-II are over your budget) As for pricing
I've been VERY happy with MotorCycle Accessory Warehouse
http://www.accwhse.com/ They stock everything and have yet to screw
up an order :-)

Good Luck, and welcome

Erik