Re: Speedo accuracy

>>these roadside radar speed sensors aren't calibrated very often
>> from what I hear, and for the same reasons would probably be
>> set to read high anyway

Neil, you may be correct & I suspected the same thing when I saw the amount
of my speedo error. But the amount (8%) fits error found by other listers
with GPS.

>>the percentage error should be consistent at any speed

Not necessarily, although an electronic device is more likely to be
accurate through the range than a mechanical one.
I dont want to recalibrate mine to be spot on at 100 kmh + if it is already
accurate at low speed. I was hoping someone could verify this first.

>>not sure if this is possible -- no one has mentioned an
>>accessible calibration adjustment.
I am sure being electronic, there would be a calibration pot. But I havent
looked yet to see if the speedo is a sealed unit, in which case it may not
be accessible.

>>why not just invest a few bucks in a BC800 computer?
>>you get an accurate speedo, and many other speed/tripmeter features

At the risk of offending a lot of people on this list... I really cannot
see the point in doing this. The bike already has a speedo, why waste money
fitting another one. My speedo is inaccurate, I know by how much & can
allow for this. If I really want a scientifically accurate speedo, I will
find a way to calibrate mine. Then I can sit & wonder how inaccurate my
speedo gets as the tyre wears, changing the rolling diameter of it. The
bike already has a trip meter & I am not interested in average speeds or
laptimes or etc.

Darren Mason.
2000 ST
Melbourne, AuSTralia.