DIY servicing / waranty issues.

Hi:
My RS had it's first service yesterday.  While I really like the people at
my dealer, I get the feeling I did not really get my $170 worth.  From what
I can tell, the first service is merely an oil change and linkage
adjustment.  From the looks of things, the chain was not even lubed.

This makes me wonder about the possibility of servicing the bike
myself.  I'm sure it cannot be too difficult once I have purchased the
factory manual.  My question is about the effects of DIY service on the
warranty ... has anyone had experience with this?  What is Triumph's
position on warranty claims if, for example, the oil change intervals
cannot be proven?

Thanks for any advice.
Michael
2000 RS