Re: Ferry/Trucking tie-downs

Mike
I bought the ferry pad - it's about 4" x 10" - basically a moulded chunk of
some plasticized rubber compound, as far as I can see. Probably works well,
but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I think all it does is to absorb
much of the constant vibration you experience on the cardecks of ferries -
especially during initial and final manoeuvering (don't they have to reverse
into position to spew out the cars?).
For what it is, I think it's a bit pricey and you could probably just as
well pick something up out of a skip, if you knew what you were looking for
and found the right degree of firmness/softness to absorb the stresses.
I have done much ferrying but never come across the straps you talk of, as
many ferries over in Europe provide all the straps and harness work - what's
more important in many cases is to actually remember to carry on you
something to put under the straps to prevent paintwork and even the saddle
(they don't launder them very often, you know, so your seat will look like
shit afterwards, and there isn't much running water around). So keep an old
t-shirt or piece of sturdy thin foam-rubber handy for that purpose.

Tim