[ST] Yahoo! New Booh!

Today I rode 75 glorious miles on my shiny new ST.  OK, they were almost
all freeway miles, and I had to stay within shouting distance of 3500 RPM,
but I don't care... it was wonderful!

The draconian breakin restrictions are a bitch.  It wasn't so bad the
first time, since my previous bike was an EX500, but now I know what
the ST wants to do, and it's hard to behave.  No merging onto the
freeway in second gear, for example.  No zipping down the freeway at
90MPH.  No flying out of stoplights.

The bike was impeccably prepared by CalBMW-- they even moved the velcro
strap that I'd used to hold a small compass, and the RAT sticker that
was on the bars.  The only thing missing is the heated grips, and those
are back-ordered; I have an IOU.  My total out-of-pocket expense was
about $500, most of which goes to the DMV.

I was worried that the bike would feel different in subtle ways, and I
guess it does, but not enough to make me feel like it's a new bike-- it
still feels like my old Booh.  OK, the clutch is much stiffer, and the
gearbox is very clunky and stiff, but I know that will go away with
age.  The fuel pump makes a slightly different obnoxious noise, but it
still feels familiar and comfortable.

I asked Mike about the old bike, and he said that it would go back to
Triumph in Georgia, and almost certainly get shipped back to England
for analysis.  I asked him to please let me know what the outcome is,
and he said he'd pass that request to Jerry Parrish.  When I hear
something, I'll let the list know.

Speaking of Jerry, Mike pointed out that his job is pretty hellacious,
since all he gets are complaints and more complaints.  Mike suggested
that I let him know I was happy (if I was, of course), which I was
planning to do anyway.  But I'm sure he's right that Jerry is
underappreciated, so if he's done something nice for you, do say thank
you.

So there you have it-- a happy resolution at last.  And I feel pretty
good about Triumph standing behind their products.  Thanks to all of
you for the words of encouragement while I waited.  It really helped.

- -Patti