[ST] Re: Calling all RS owners

Haven obtained a loaner RS for a couple of days while my SpdTrp was in the
shop, I was surprised by how different the two machines are. The engines are
supposedly in similar states of tune, but differences in gearing and chassis
dramatically effect how the bikes feel. Road imperfections that would have
me bouncing in my seat on the SpdTrp, are effortlessly absorbed by the RS,
resulting in a much smoother ride. Like all Triumphs, the RS has plenty of
low end grunt, so we're talking razor thin margins, but the SpdTrp feels
like its pulls a little harder. On the freeway, the RS cruises 80 mph at a
rpm that is 500-750 lower than the SpdTrp. It may not seem like much, but it
is noticeably smoother.

A couple of factors will be different for you than they were for me. You'll
be coming down both in amount power, and in how it's delivered. This may be
good or bad, depending on your riding style, but it will be noticeable.
Secondly, I'm not accustomed to any fairing, with requisite effects on
perceived speed, heat felt from the engine, and shelter from the elements.

Then there's the issue of riding position. My SpdTrp has clipons, so the
position is exactly the same as the Daytona. The RS has clipons above the
top clamp, so it is slightly elevated compared to what you're used to.
However, this has to be balanced against reaching over a slightly bigger
tank area. I think some folks on the list have put Sprint ST bars on their
RS to raise the position even higher. Other position factors: the leg area
feels a little larger, as the knee is a bent a little less forward (closer
to 90 degrees), the seat is a little wider with a much thicker cushion.

If your only reason for wanting to switch to an RS is ergonomics, you might
want to consider if your Daytona could be altered to make it more
comfortable for you. For example, SpdTrp bars can be fitted to provide a
riding position even more upright than either Sprint (if that's too much,
there are aftermarket adjustable clipons that can raise clipons above the
top clamp, like the RS). An aftermarket shock can provide a less harsh ride.
There are several aftermarket seat options to increase your bum's endurance.

There aren't too many dual RS, Daytona owners, but I think there's one
person on this list that owns both. I know there is a person on the SpdTrp
list that traded in his RS for a SpdTrp. So you might try posting to that
list as well.

Daphne

End of st-digest V2001 #389