RE: [ST] Rules of lanesplitting

As I understood it, it's not 'legal' - it's just not 'illegal'.  I
*have* been pulled over and lectured (granted, by a motorcycle cop) on
the dangers of lane splitting before in CA.  My personal policy is to
avoid lane splitting in moving traffic; I pretty much reserve it for

a) stop lights
b) traffic jams

In stop-and-go highway traffic, I'll split until ambient traffic gets up
to 20-30mph or so, then i'll merge into a lane until it slows up again.
Beware of the anti-bike cagers that will drift toward you as you try to
pass them; be curteous to the bike-aware cagers that drift away from you
(I usually wave 'thanks' as I pass, if I can do it safely).

G'luck,
- -Justin
'00 RS
San Francisco