Re: [ST] Rules of lanesplitting

>I will be riding my bike in Calif. for the first time this week, and I
>understand that lane splitting is legal there. What are the rules, both
>legal and common sense (other than, "don't do it 'cause if friggin'
>dangerous) for reasonably safe lanesplitting?

The CHP's official policy (as they explained it during a traffic school I
had to attend about 15 years ago) was that it wasn't illegal. Since the CHP
officers like to ride side by side it hasn't been made illegal.

Their recommendations;

Don't do it when traffic is over 10 mph.
Don't be passing traffic by more than 10 mph.
Local jurisdictions mqy enforce differently.

My own experiences:

CHP tolerates lane splitting when done according to the recommendations
above. I've lane splitted right by CHP officers on many occasions with no
problem.

I don't lane split very often on surface streets. Shortly after attending
the previously mentioned traffic school, I received a ticket for straddling
a lane in Santa Clara.

You won't get a ticket for lane splitting. You can get a ticket for any of
these offenses though and it's up to the discretion of the cop:

   Unsafe lane change

   Failing to signal during a lane change

   Straddling a lane

If you decide to lane split on the freeway, pick the right side of the fast
lane. That's where most people will expect lane splitters to be and some
people are even nice enough to pull over to the left to help you out. If
they do move over, give them a nice wave as you go by.

If some asshole is lane splitting ahead of you, don't be the one behind him
that the motorists take their revenge on. This includes Harley's with open
pipes.

Constantly watch what the motorists are doing. Avoid cell phone users like
the plague. (which currently means at least 50% of the drivers in
California)

Try to keep yourself between two cars at all times. If traffic is light
enough where there are gaps so that people start changing lanes, then pull
back in and stop splitting.

Even with saddlebags the Sprint ST's widest points are the mirrors, which
is good for lane splitting. If the mirrors make it, you're ok.

Keep the rpms up and the brakes covered. If you're in second gear, it's
probably time to poke along with the rest of the traffic.

Enjoy the carpool lanes as much as possible!

Matt Knowles - matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (707) 786-4643
http://www.aestheticdesign.com