Re: [ST] Clutch cable

on 3/7/01 3:39 AM, by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at
owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: "Alex Hendry" <alex_hendry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Clutch cable
> Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 07:21:47 -0000
>
> Sorry to hear about your clutch cable problem.  I've been checking mine,
> but its Mr. Clueless here, so always a bit worried, now that I use the bike
> for daily transport.

On mine it broke at the nipple. The reason seemed to be that the thin metal
sheath around the nipple had a cutout which was slightly too small and a
little bit of solder flash wasn't helping. The result was that the nipple
wasn't able to rotate freely and so the cable was constantly flexing. If you
take the lever off refit the nipple in the lever and make sure the cable can
move freely without flexing.

The standard replacement seems much better but I'm getting one of Venhill's
stainless steel, teflon lined cables made ( see http://www.venhill.co.uk/ )
and I'll carry the standard one as a spare. The standard cable was #19.99,
the Venhill one will be #20.50 including p+p. They didn't have them in stock
so I sent my old (RS) one as a pattern, maybe they'll keep the specs so they
can make more on demand. Maybe Steve Lilley will get a batch made to sell
through the shop.

On my Guzzi I carry a clutch cable, upper and lower throtttle cables, spare
plug and cap and a 35mm film can containing wire and crimp connectors with
pvc tape wrapped round the outside.

Cheers, Dave