RE: [NSTR] Re: [ST] Fwd: Statistics Don't Lie...

Is this a ST list or a gun list?  All this non-motorcycle talk gets me
confused.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric
Gustafson
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 10:53 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xhippy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [NSTR] Re: [ST] Fwd: Statistics Don't Lie...

De-Lurking with things to ponder on the serious side of that posting:
The rate of firearm deaths among children under 13 is nearly 12 times
higher in the U.S. than in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
Boy that's something gun owners should be proud of, eh? Studies have
found that an estimated 1,000,000 children between sixth and 12th grade
have carried guns to school at some point during the last school year.
How many of them carried stethoscopes? In 1997 39,400 assaults with a
firearm.  How many assaults by sphygmomanometer? In 1997 13,300
homicides by firearm.  How many homicides by speculum? All deaths
"caused" by physicians are "accidental" by their nature (okay, us here
in Oregon are an exception with our Death with Dignity Act, but while
technically it is a 'homicide', it's not a crime, and there were 27 of
those last year).  Any deaths by firearm that aren't a crime?  Okay,
aside from suicide (oh, by the way there were 17,566 suicides by firearm
in 1997). Anyway, I have a feeling (I dunno, call me crazy here) that
illegal homicides by doctor in 1997 (or any year for that matter)
probably is close to zero.  How many doctors go on a wild rampage and
stick a restaurant or school-full of people or kids with a syringe
filled with hantavirus?  How many doctors attack a woman on the street,
then in some way assault the reponding police officers with some sort of
medical instrument trying to cause their deaths (as is what happened
here in Portland today - - however, assaultor was mutant bad guy who
happened to be a gun owner who shot one of the responding police
officers -luckily only in the hand -  and proving that the police are
generally better shots than crooks, mutant bad guy is now deceased)?  I
haven't been to a funeral of someone who was trying to catch a doctor
who had commited some crime.  I have been to several funerals of people
who were trying to catch persons with guns....persons who shot those
people trying to catch them. Sorry, but I still think someone with a gun
is more dangerous than a physician. Regards, Eric (no, not anti gun
owner.  just anti moronic, mutant, criminal, troglodyte gun owner)

> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:39:32 -0000
> From: "STeve Duncan" <xhippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Fwd: Statistics Don't Lie...
>
> Sorry for the non-Sprint content.  My daughter sent me this and I just

> had to share.  Another "minority" group that is stereo-typed, just
> like us
poor
> motorcyclists.  ;-)
>

> >  Statistics Don't Lie...
> >
> >  Number of physicians in the US:  700,000.
> >  Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
> >
> >  Accidental deaths per physician...0.171
> >  (US Dept. of Health & Human Services).
> >
> >  Number of gun owners in the US:  80,000,000.
> >  Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups):  1,500.
> >
> >  Accidental deaths per gun owner:  0.00001875.
> >
> >  Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,120 times more dangerous

> >than gun owners.
> >
> >FACT:
> >  Not everyone has a gun, but almost everyone has at least one
> >Doctor.
> >
> >  Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
> >  We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand.
> >
> >  Remember: Guns don't kill people, doctors do

*   *