[ST] Viet Nam motorcycles

Hi,
   I just returned from Viet Nam where I encountered more motorcycles per
square inch than I could have imagined. Of course they were about 99% of
less than 125cc. People ride the wrong way down the street. Sidewalks and
indoor markets are also places to ride. People make u-turns whenever and
wherever and roundabouts are very interesting to negotiate. People eat,
drink and smoke while riding (automatic clutches). They will also ride 4 to
a bike, including infants. They will load the bikes with anything possible.
(Example...passenger on the back holding 3x5 foot pane of glass in heavy
traffic). Everyone parks their bikes inside their homes and on the sidewalk
(which are not necessarily for walking) when shopping and there are lots and
lots of very pretty women on bikes. I only saw about nine bike accidents in
the 3 weeks I was there and only one was serious. speeds range from 1-20
miles an hour most of the time in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. There are some
odd old bikes and a few Urals with sidecars. Pollution is nasty. Lots of
Aussies too.
   Although I rode on the back of motorcycles a couple times, I was afraid
that if I was at the controls, I might do some serious damage trying to make
headway through traffic. So I didn't ride one myself. If I was there a
longer while, I might have given it a go.
Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------