[ST] Jackets - Again

 OK, I am looking more and more for a good riding jacket.  It is something
 with my budget that I will wear all season here in lovely Iowa with our
 scorching summers and quite cool spring and fall evening.  So, I need
 something with some good ventilation, but that would probably have a zip-in
 liner as well.  Want something with some elbow and shoulder protection and
 available spot for back protection.

 Now, I would like some input on Nylon/Cordura vs. leather.  After talking
 one person today, I am looking more towards leather and carry a 1-piece
 rainsuit for that nasty weather.  I was thinking one of the
waterproof/water
 resistant Cordura jackets originally, but he really didn't think any of
them
 would be completely or mostly waterproof.  He thought the leather jacket
 with a rainsuit would be a better alternative.

 So far, I have looked at a Belstaff Avalon jacket.  It comes with elbow and
 shoulder protection, zip-out liner, zipper in back to attact to pants, and
 is a Nylon type construction that is supposed to be waterproof.  It has
back
 vents only.  Price is $229.

 Then today, while checking out a new Arai Signet/GT helmet, the shop
 actually had a Vanson Cobra jacket in stock in my size.  That is one heavy
 duty jacket.  It is perforated front leather with zip down flaps inside and
 vents in the back.  Reinforced elbows and shoulders, adjustable waist,
 longer back "tail", zip-out liner available seperately, and shoulder,
elbow,
 and back protection available seperately.  This jacket listed at $490.
 Salesman spoke very highly of the Vanson jackets.

 And lastly, they had a Fieldsheer jacket.  Didn't look to closely at it,
but
 just holding it you could tell it was a completely different jacket than
the
 Vanson.  He said that is due to the different leathers that are used -
 European Leather (Vanson jacket) vs. U.S. Leather (Fieldsheer).

 Now, is there a real difference in how the different leathers are prepared
 for use or in the quality of the 2 leathers?  Any reason to look at leather
 over Nylon/Cordura or vice versa?  He did say that with the Vanson jacket,
 after years of use it can be sent back to be reconditioned where as the
 Belstaff-type jacket would just end up getting replaced.  But with the
 Belstaff I would be getting a lot of what I want for about half the price.
 Where as I would have to spend another $200-$300 for the protection and
 liner on the Vanson jacket.

 Any thoughts, input, etc from those that have been there and done that
would
 be greatly appreciated.  Again, this would be for day-to-day riding and
 commuting.  Very unlikely to see track time - although I do hope to do a
 riding school some day.  And price/value is important to me.

 Thanks,

Eric Mann
eric91z@xxxxxxxx
'91 Camaro Z28