Re: [ST] Rules of lanesplitting

Eric Drayer asked:

> Does anyone know the rules for New York?

Yeah. This is an occasional hot topic on the NYC-Moto Digest*. In NYC it
is illegal to share lanes. Cops have a tendency to look the other way,
but it is inadvisable to pass a cop. I did that once, it's a long story
if anyone wants the details, contact me off list. Just last Friday I had
a run in with an off duty cop while I was filtering; if enough people
want the sordid details I will post it to the list.

I don't know about the rest of the state. However, in New Jersey, there
is actually no law on the books that state that lane sharing is illegal.
The LEO's can nail you for a) improper lane change, b) unsafe driving,
c) passing on a solid line or what ever else they can think of.
(Luckily, I have no first hand knowledge of this.)

FWIW I define lanesplitting as riding between two lanes of traffic
moving in the same direction. I define filtering as riding past vehicles
stopped at a light to get to the head of the line. Filtering, other than
French bread, Italian food, Irish stout and British bikes, is my
favorite european phenomenon.

* http://www.magpie.com/digests.html

Obligatory ST content: I just hit 11,000 miles today. Only problems to
date: a 5 mph gravity storm, a 0 mph gravity storm, a leaky fuel pump
gasket, a quirky neutral switch, an inaccurate fuel sender (original
one!). The Blue Devil has been acting somewhat sluggish lately. I'm sure
the 12,000 mile service will take care of that.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"