Re: [ST] Deer Season

A few years back a Gold Wing rider hit a moose near Duluth, MN. The rider and passenger didn't have to worry about what to do because, unfortunately, both were killed. I suspect your chances of surviving a bear impact are as low as surviving a moose impact, and both situations have a far greater chance of ending in a fatality than a deer impact. When I hit a deer in 1996, I flipped him off the road like a Tiddly Wink (remember those?) Hitting a moose or a bear would be more akin to hitting a brick wall, since moose and deer are much heavier than deer and much more planted on the terra firma.

But such impacts are survivable. I once came across an accident scene in my home town where a guy hit a moose on a Honda 305 Scrambler and survived. He wasn't even wearing a helmet. He hit the moose and sort of rode right through its stomach. He was covered with the most vile-smelling moose fluids you can imagine and wandering around on the highway, dazed as all get out. He also didn't have to worry about the moose, which was lying dead not too far from where his Honda landed.

>>> Richard & Lisa White <RedRiders@xxxxxxx> - 7/11/01 9:11 AM >>>
At the Western Rallye, the front guys in our group came around a corner
to find a bear in the middle of the road.  It does pose a good question
as to what to do in that situation.  You don't exactly want to hit it so
the inclination is to slow, as you would with other animals, yet, unlike
with most other animals, you you don't really want to stop either . . .
. .  Hopefully he will move out of the way, as this one did, so you
don't really have to choose . . . .

Lisa