[ST] Rear brake

Has anyone worked out a fix for the weak rear brake on the ST? Mine is so
wimpy that I find myself not using it, which led to my downfall recently,
while turning into a filling station with a gravel forecourt. I have replaced
the pads with Ferrodos, cleaning everything with brake (contact) cleaner, to
no avail. My Scottoiler may have something to do with it, as the rotor is
closer to the chain than it is on bikes with a double-sided swingarm, but I
can see no visible oil-fouling. On my other bikes, one of which is a '79
Bonneville, with an old-fashioned solid disc, the rear braking is quite
effective, and I use it at each stop, but on the '99 ST, since nothing much
happens when I step on it, my automatic reaction is not to use it.
Has anyone tried a different rotor, or different pads, perhaps made of
carborundum? Dave Collins, San Diego

End of st-digest V2001 #414