RE: [ST] Service times?

hey Andrew,

No it won't. At least not here in the States. You are covering your own
posterior by checking fasteners and torque settings. The dealer mechanic
has neither the time nor the inclination to do more than necessary to get
the bike out the door and the next bike onto a lift.  It's a rare Mechanic
that gives a damn and looks and checks everything on the list.

I personally change my own oil every 3000 miles and the Dealer gets the
bike at 500, 6k,12k and 18K miles for respective maintenance and warranty
work, which he has taken care of in a timely fashion. Although it helps to
form a relationship with the mechanic that services your bike.

  Really the only way to invalidate your warranty would be to f" it up, and
that requires skill. Adjusting a cable, or replacing a brake pad or six
will not cause warranty problems unless you f' up. I've walked over to Joe
and asked "is there anything special or unusual involved in doing X" and
he'll give me an answer. Then it's off to my home shop to do the work.

It's up to you to access your skills and talents, self confidence and the
proper tools and data are required also. After spending years wrenching
on  Harley's and Roots blowers and screw pumps, there is little mechanical
work that I personally find daunting. Plus my electronic's background, and
the proper tools for that, allow me to work on fuel injection and
electrical systems repairs at home. If any of you think Triumph electronics
are complicated try troubleshoot and repair on "S" class late model Mercedes!

I guess the short answer would be to do what your comfortable with, but
remember if the bike is in the shop for silly stuff (cable replacement or
brake pads.....) then that means you're not riding it. Riding is what it is
really about. Not sending the dealers kid to college.

Just MNSHO,
Peace,

>Well given what's listed in the hand book, I would do everything myself,
>except for the fact that it would immediately invalidate my warranty.  So
>for the next two years everything will and MUST be done by my dealer.
>
>Andy

> *   *

Andrew Bell, Test Technician
Mixed Signals/ULTECH