[ST] Re: rear braking...

Ya know Cameron, as the resident L.A. County Safety Nazi, I feel obligated
to note that while the Bostrums and Gobert and duHamel use the rear brake
to settle the back down and all sorts of Good Stuff (although in no
interview with any of them have they suggested anything like a
30%front/70%rear balance), if you're riding fast enough on public streets
to need to do that kind of thing, Peckham's mullet is the least of your
worries. Personally, if you're riding that fast, I'd just appreciate it if
you could let me know what roads you're going to be on and when so I can
(depending on my mood) either: 1) be riding them while the patrol cars are
busy scraping you up and so feel free of any worry about getting a ticket
myself; or 2) be somewhere else so I don't have to worry about you
lowsiding into me as you come down the hill the other way...<g>

Seriously, I've gotta doubt that a technique like that makes much
difference at even moderately sane street speeds, and it poses a big risk
to the less-than-perfectly-competent as a rear wheel lockup in a corner is
a formula for Really Bad Things Happening. Your technique could be good
enough to let you get away with it, although it's quite ... different ...
from what most people teach, but it's not something we untrained
unprofessionals should probably try at home. I'm kinda interested in how
you developed it...

MarcD