[ST] Re: st-digest V2001 #426

Eric,
I just came from the local State Farm service center. I had dropped  one of
my bikes (96 Kawi GPz) and had signifigant plastic damage. I cited the huge
delay involved ("leave the bike here for 2 weeks and we'll get to it") in
just getting an estimate done and proposed that they cut me a check for the
parts costs and I do the labor. No problem they said! Scare up a pick list,
with prices, from your local shops parts counter, State Farm will want to
take pictures and make sure it jibes with the pick list. Don't let them
forget sales tax! In my case I'll get the parts mail order and pocket the
sales tax and a 30% discount on parts (only because the dealer jerked me
around) You can let your consience be your guide.
Good Luck!
MR

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"State Farm suggested that I take the bike to their drive up claims office.
I can just see the adjuster saying now "Triumph? I didn't know they still
made those!)  Has anyone used the drive up service? What was your
experience?  What if additional parts/labor was required after the initial
estimate?

How about an independant appraiser?  Do they exist for motorcycles?  I used
one years ago for a specialty car (TR-8) and had a relatively good
experience......I already checked and they don't do motorcycles.

If I ask a dealer to handle the adjustment process what is a fair amount to
pay for that service?  Will any dealer do I should/must I use a triumph
dealer......I don't think the bike can be ridden that far safely."