From: Nowak, Nick [mailto:n.nowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 2:25 PM
To: 'RS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [ST] Post gravity storm repair discovery

Those of you out there with hard shifting bikes may want to give this a try.
My RS was shifting smoothly before, but now its like butter.  NOTE: This
requires two hands, one knee, and a grease gun to accomplish, or a helper
and grease gun.

First, pull back the little black rubber booties on the ball joints of the
shift linkage.  Right in the center of each ball joint there is a small 1/4"
hole.  You want to pump grease through the hole until you see it oozing out
the back.  The tricky part to this is that you can't just press the hose of
your grease gun onto the face of the ball joint as the ball will close up
the hole and prevent the grease from getting in, and thus the need for extra
hands.  In one hand grab the shaft of the shift linkage and pull it towards
you and hold it tightly.  Using your other hand, tightly hold the end of
your grease gun against the face of the ball joint.  With your third hand or
knee or whatever pump in the grease.  The improvement was quite noticeable
since there doesn't appear to be much, if any lubrication on these from the
factory.

I discovered the ball joints were not working smoothly when I had the shift
linkage apart for crash repairs.  Bike tipped over to the left while parked,
which bent the shift lever into the threaded aluminum shaft of the shift
linkage, which snapped off the threaded shaft.  I torched the shift lever
and straightened it back to normal, and I replaced the threaded aluminum
shaft with a new stainless one that should take a bit more abuse.

Nick "the dirtbag"
'00 Yellow RS

*