Re: [ST] Oil Substitute?

I'm sorry but I think your measurement is off.

At 08:51 PM 7/17/01 -0700, Neil Lindsey wrote:
>1. My garage floor is fairly level.

Where I check my bike, mine is level (just checked with a 5foot top view level)

>3. I then pushed the rear end of the bike down until the bike the rear tire
>was on the ground and re-checked the oil level (ok, actually my wife did as
>I was still holding the back down), and noted that the level did NOT change
>appreciably (I think it went up VERY slightly).

Why not take it off the centerstand  ?

Here are my results

1 - Checked on the sidestand - no oil visible in sight glass
2 - Checked on the centerstand - level of oil was halfway up sight glass.
3 - Took bike off center stand and used my previously stated technique -
sight glass shows just under the top line.

To me, that is a considerable difference and I can only conclude that is
why the manual states you should check the oil level while the bike is not
on the centerstand or sidestand.

If you prefer to check it on the centerstand, then you should remember to
never fill it to more than halfway up the sight glass.

- -Eric

End of st-digest V2001 #430